Cover letters are what help you stand out in a job application. Resumes cover the skills an applicant needs for a job, and cover letters convey the candidate’s fit. Here are a few tips that will show you how to write a cover letter, followed by some examples.
Tips for Writing a Cover Letter
- Explain how you’re going to do well in the job – talk about the company’s pain points and explain how you can help fix them. Start with a problem and position yourself and your skills as the solution.
- Show them you’re going to do well in the company – fitting into the company culture is an important aspect for new hires. You should display the same values as the company’s core values.
- Show that you’re likable and have a great personality – being enjoyable to work with is always a strength. Use the cover letter to display your personality and get your recruiters to like you and want to work with you.
- Tell a story that’s not on your resume – you should not be repeating information they already know from your resume, instead, tell a story or talk about a skill.
- Use numbers and examples – use your cover letter to give real-life examples of how you excelled at work and used your skills. If you have numbers and metrics to back up your stories, even better.
Cover Letter Examples
What advice do you have on how to write a cover letter? Let us know in the comments below!