Bringing in a new team member is challenging not just for that new hire, but also for the team. This onboarding checklist is a guideline to help you achieve a smooth transition for your new hires as well as the teams they’re joining.
Before the candidate search
- Consult with the team that has an opening to find out their wants and needs.
- Ask the department head what the ideal candidate looks like.
- Draft the job description, outlining responsibilities, qualifications, and expectations.
- Include a qualifier in the job description (ie. instructions to include a special word in the application).
- Get the team that will be accepting the new hire involved in the recruitment process.
- Have people from the team take turns interviewing different applicants.
- Utilize assessments to effectively match candidate skills and personalities with the team.
- Ask the candidate about any concerns they may have with taking the job.
- Asl the team about any concerns they have with the top 3 candidates.
Once someone has been hired
- Call them to let them know they’ve gotten the job.
- Send an email introducing the company and team more thoroughly.
- Have their future team introduce themselves to the new hire, and share one thing about each of themselves.
- Send any forms that need to be completed beforehand, so their first day is efficient right from the start.
- Assign a mentor to guide them through the first few days.
- Schedule frequent (once a week) check-ins during the first few months.
- Have the employee rotate around a few different departments to see how their job will affect others.
- Provide a guide to office policy and give them a tour of the processes and facilities.
- Check in with the new hire regularly to discuss concerns, praise, and gauge progress.
- Check in with the team regularly to see how the new hire is contributing to the team.
- Provide regular learning and development opportunities to keep your team updated in the industry.
- Maintain teamwork by hosting regular team building activities.
Additional onboarding checklist resources
- 6 Checklists to Perfect your New Employee Onboarding Process
- Google’s Simple Just-In-Time Checklist Improves Onboarding Results By 25%
- The Manager’s Checklist for Onboarding New Hires
- Ultimate Employee Onboarding Checklist
- A Step-by-Step Checklist for Effective Employee Onboarding
Need more help? Learn more about onboarding employees and how we can assist.